Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Old Days

Being in Philly for the race this year got me thinking about 'the old days'. Back when those watching the race were more into cycling than beer pong.
We would gather Saturday night with lots of chalk and Final Net and chalk the street. Each year was a different design. None of my pictures are dated but it would appear that this was the first year of women in the race. The Final Net did a great job protecting the chalk from the street sweepers.
On Sunday morning the crew would drift in, usually making it in time for the first lap down Pechin St.
As the day went on we would run inside after the pack passed by to watch it on TV, and to catch some cool air.
This year, also undated, was our largest turnout of people on bikes. There wasn't much room on the sidewalk for people to get through!


Gone are the days where I would think about attempting 'The Wall'. Hmm...a goal for next year perhaps. It would be nice to wonder if I could make it rather than knowing that there is not a chance in ....


1 comment:

  1. I think I remember the first pic.
    You were a good hill climber. One beautiful day we met on the river drive where you did some seat adjustments for me before we set off for Roxborough. In my mind's eye I can see you zooming up Ridge from Main. I walked my bike up. It was a fun day together.

    ReplyDelete