Monday, January 31, 2011

The Winter of 1994

The impending ice storm got me thinking of the winter of 1994. That was the winter of 19 ice storms and while it wasn't all ice, there was some snow too, the ice prevailed. The ice covered everything. When it did snow it was a challenge to shovel but leave just enough to cover the ice and provide traction.

Both Steve and I had jobs that required us to be there. There was no calling off because you couldn't get there. Steve's job took him all all over the tri-state area. That Ford Aerostar and some impressive driving got him there every time. I still am amazed that we would leave in the morning and he would be in Delaware about the same time I make it to Devon.

To get to my job I had to cross the river and then get up the big, long, windy hill. The name of the road escapes me now, it had Devon or Valley Forge in it and probably changed names midway through. My beloved Nissan pickup truck made it up the hill every time. Usually I had to go around people that were stuck, sliding backwards or off the road. That truck had its hubs locked in 4-wheel drive from January to mid march. That truck rocked, because unlike Steve there was no impressive driving going on with me. Just guts and a great truck.

1 comment:

  1. What a great entry! I forgot all about your truck. I'm going to [ut this on a separate journal page.

    ReplyDelete