Friday, May 27, 2011

Wild Weather Week

This week's weather brought more rain. Each time it rained I reminded myself that it could be worse. And then I got sad not just because it was raining again, but because our rain would end up in the Mississippi River.
We also had two nights of tornado warnings and watches and after the disaster in Joplin I took them seriously.
The first night the storm was fierce but quick. It blew through in less than an hour. CJ and I kept ourselves busy by gathering the storm/camping supplies and bringing them to the basement. By the time we had finished the threat had passed and so had my anxiety.
The second night of tornado warnings was a longer affair. About 5pm the warning was issued. By 10pm the warning was extended to 5am! The storms that night weren't as severe but did last all night. And yes, we sent even more water into the Mississippi. UGH.
Then Thursday evening the skies got dark and the rains and winds started. The rain came down sideways. The winds blew so hard that the rain came in the front door which is under a 8 foot deep porch roof! Fortunately it was over fairly quickly and the house and neighborhood fared rather well. 
It is now Friday and no rain. The weekend is supposed to be nice just like last weekend. Maybe this will be the summer of glorious weekends. It sure is starting out that way. If so you know where to find me.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a vivid recountal. The 12 hour warning period must have been tedious. Don't think I've ever seen horizontal rain-can't imagine it coming in the front door. I'm impressed w the 2 of you getting everything ready in the basement.

    ReplyDelete