Monday, July 19, 2010

Thanks Poppop

This is a jar of chopped garlic soaking in olive oil.
In the past I had purchased a similar jar at the grocery store for more than $3.00.
This jar cost me an original outlay of $0.33 for the baby food, $1.00 for the garlic, a minimal amount for the splash of olive oil and about 20 minutes of my time. Lately CJ has been helping chop so the task is done in half the time.
Why is this wonderful? Because to purchase this item one has to find the end cap on which the jars of garlic reside. No big deal, you say. I beg to differ, the produce section is at the end of my grocery trip and I am usually cranky by then and the location seems to move on a regular basis. The garlic cloves are generally with the potatoes and easy to find. Easy makes me happy. Putting on a pair of gloves and chopping garlic makes me happy, even if the house stinks for a while!
Why am I thanking Poppop? It was his idea! While visiting, I noticed him dip his spoon into a jar and pull out a peeled, whole clove of garlic. He'd been doing it for a while since the garlic will last longer peeled and dunked into olive oil. Smart man that Poppop!

1 comment:

  1. I remember you telling me about his idea when I briefly toyed with making my own pasta sauce because I was bored with the ready made ones. Then I discovered Trader Joe's Romano Caesar Dressing for salads. Turns out it's great on pasta with TJ's crumbled Feta with Meditterranean Herbs. This summer I add Thai Basil which likes our heat waves. This 5 day one may last another 7 days... So early in town to swim and early home routine continues. On the beach in OC yesterday the high was 93 which was only 1 degree less than our high.

    ReplyDelete